The Spotlight of the Week: Red Owl Tavern Lobster Bake
Red Owl Tavern, the modern American restaurant located across the street from Independence Hall, has seafood-filled Lobster Bakes for just $25 every Monday through Labor Day! Seafood lovers can enjoy this ode-to-summer feast at Red Owl Tavern’s newly expanded outdoor seating — now with expansive lounge seating on Fifth Street and traditional tables on Chestnut Street, adjacent to Hotel Monaco.
These Lobster Bakes are the perfect summer treat, served in a classic speckled enamelware black pot, filled with mouth-watering mussels, jumbo shrimp, fingerling potatoes, sweet corn on the cob, and topped with a one-pound lobster.
This Week in Cocktails: Parks on Taps
Parks on Tap heads to Matthias Baldwin Park in the Spring Garden neighborhood. There will be masses of people stopping by food trucks, the best brews, and plenty of activities. On Thursday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., there will be free yoga in the park. The hours for this roaming beer garden are Wednesday and Thursday 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., Friday 4 p.m. to 11 pm., Saturday 1 p.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Each Wednesday between the hours of 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., the areas of Avenue of the Arts, Center City East, Center City West, and Rittenhouse Square participate in Center City Sips. Over 80 participating locations have $6 cocktails, $5 wines, $4 beers, and appetizer discounts. Here are this week’s best deals.
• Bellini Grille: The Bellini Grille is a fantastic restaurant to get great deals for Center City Sips. The $6 cocktails for the season are all fused with EFFEN Yuzu Vodka. Blue Moon, Miller Lite, and Grapefruit Spiked Seltzer are all available for $4. All of the appetizers from the Dinner Menu are half-priced during these hours.
• Brü Craft & Wurst: This German-style beer hall has buffalo cauliflower and fried brussels sprouts half-off. Stop by to sip on an EFFEN Mule (EFFEN original vodka, ginger beer, and lime), a Juicy Rosa (Malfy Limon, elderflower liqueur, and Aperol), or a Spicy Sunset (Corralejo Blanco, jalapeno, lime, and club soda)
• City Tap House Logan Square: One of the two City Tap House locations in the city resides near the bursting Ben Franklin Parkway. At City Tap House you can Founders All Day Drafts and Founders Solid Gold Cans for $4. You can also pair any of your discounted appetizers with several $6EFFEN Vodka cocktails.
Old City Eats Picks: Amada, Baby Buns, Bleu Martini
Each Thursday between the hours of 5 pm-8 pm Philadelphia participates in Old City Eats. Over 25 participating locations have half-priced appetizers, $4 beers, $5 cocktails, and other drink specials.
• Amada: Amada is a great place to enjoy Old City Eats. Iron Chef Jose Garces will have you salivating with each bite. Datiles con Almendras (Bacon-Wrapped Medjool Dates, Almonds, Cabrales) will be half-priced. You can pair the dish with an Irish Matador (Powers, Ginger, elderflower, and lemon)
• Baby Buns: Baby Buns, located in The Bourse, offers you a great sample of different slider and sandwiches each day. During Old City Eats you can get a Pork Jawn (braised pork, bao bun, napa slaw, topped with chipotle mayo) sandwich for $5. A Red Rose Sangria Slushie will provide the perfect culinary marriage to your chosen dish.
• Bleu Martini: Live music hotspot, bar and restaurant Bleu Martini has some fantastic deals for you every Thursday. Cajun Shrimp Cornbread and Cheesesteak Egg Rolls will be half-off. A Mojito Loco featuring Bacardi is the Eats signature cocktail at the establishment.
Each week, Philly Influencer picks the best parties, events, and social gatherings the area has to offer.
• Summer Nights at Penn Museums: Stop by the Penn Museum this Wednesday for its Summer Nights series. Tour the gardens, listen to the curated music, have a cocktail, and more. This Wednesday, NHL wonder Gritty will be in the building.
• Hippo Sips Undersea: Adventure Aquarium hosts will be hosting this fun happy hour event this Thursday. The Flying Fish Beer Garden (cash only) will be open for business. A limited-edition watermelon wheat beer, Genny’s Watermelon Splash, will be on tap. There will be lively hippo feedings and the first drink is free.
• The Gathering: The Rotunda in West Philly will be hosting The Gathering this Thursday night. Beginning in 1996, this is the longest running Hip Hop event in the city. The exciting and artistic-filled event will be a great cultural experience. DJs spin all night long, there are open cyphers, and more.
• Drink Philly’s Red, White, & Blue Boat Party: Spirit of Philadelphia Cruises and Drink Philly will be throwing an ultimate weekday party this Thursday, June 27th. A dinner buffet, live music, drinks, and more will keep you entertained all night as you sail the Delaware River.
• Philadelphia Taco Festival: XFINITY Live! will be hosting the Philadelphia Taco Festival this Saturday from 12 pm-6 pm. Over 30 local eateries will have their best tacos up for grabs, you’ll be able to sample an ample amount of tequila, and there will be a build-your-own-margarita station. There will be a live mariachi band, a DJ, prizes, and so much more.
• Dinos After Dark: The Academy of Natural Sciences is continuing its Dinos After Dark series this Thursday night. There will be a pay-what-you-wish admission, live animals, drinks at the Academy’s Beer Garden, lively activities, and more.
• Drop it Like Its Hot: The next night the same venue will host an insane throwback party. Drop It Like Its Hot will feature the best music from the 2000s. From the era of Limewire and two-way pagers, this dance off will take you back with hits “Buy U A Drank” and more.
• Jay Z & Beyoncé at the Foundry: Come to The Foundry this Saturday for Jay Z & Beyoncé night. They dynamic hitmaking duo’s records will be spinning all night long. The party begins at 9 pm. Be ready to sing and rap your favorite tracks as the speakers blare.
• Historic Philadelphia Block Party: This Sunday, from 12 pm-5 pm come to Independence Mall for a massive block party. There will be live music, food, beer gardens, and more.
• Pynk Affair at Yards Brewing Compay: This Sunday, Yards Brewing Company will be hosting a beer and music festival for a good cause. The brewery, warehouse, and beer garden will be buzzing with a fun time. There will be live music and Federal Donuts and Little Baby’s will be providing treats. Yards brews, La Colombe lattes, and Bluecoat cocktails will be flowing. There will be prizes and giveaways at this event.