The Spotlight of the Week: Royal Boucherie Bastille Day Blowout
Royal Boucherie, Chef Nicholas Elmi’s lively American brasserie in Old City, goes big this Bastille Day with extensive all-weekend celebrations from Friday, July 12 through Sunday, July 14. Guests are invited to explore their inner Francophile during a French-themed happy hour on Friday, July 12 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. boasting French wine, beer and specialties or to stop by for a Bastille Burlesque Show — Off with their clothes — on Saturday, July 13. The program starts at 8 p.m. at the downstairs dining room and moves upstairs later that night around 10 p.m. for more séduisant performances from LeLu Lenore and Margot Starlux.
For the actual “Fête Nationale” on Sunday, July 14, the restaurant will serve up a decadent brunch in honor of the 230th French National Day featuring French vinyl from DJ Romain of Spinning Kitchen, big wigs, strong drinks and delicious food from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. The events are free to attend with pay-as-you-go for food and drinks. Reservations are strongly recommended.
This Week in Cocktails: Square 1682’s New Summer Cocktail Menu
Square 1682, the award-winning and dynamic restaurant and bar adjacent to Hotel Palomar in Center City, is pleased to announce that new Lead Bartender Christian Diaz has taken the helm, bringing a fresh direction to the restaurant’s stellar bar program, as well as a new summer cocktail menu.
Christian Diaz brings passion and creativity to his role and is known for his bold-flavored cocktail creations. At Old City’s Red Owl Tavern, Diaz worked as a bar back before eventually becoming a full-time bartender under acclaimed bartender Kyle Darrow. For more than five years Diaz studied his craft before embarking on this latest chapter at Square 1682. Diaz’s new cocktail menu at Square 1682 kicks off with summer-perfect libations, such as the Summer Breeze (made with pomegranate-infused Aperol, Amaro Nonino, and lemon;$14), Midsummer Night’s Dream(made with Bank 5 Rum, apricot jam, allspice, and lime;$12), and The Jessie Rabbit ( made with Absolut Vodka, bubbles, basil, carrot, and lemon;$13). There are several other cocktails added to the summer lineup. Be sure to check them out at this great hotspot.
Center City Sips Picks: Bank and Bourbon, Charlie was a sinner, and Ladder 15
Each Wednesday between the hours of 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., the areas of Avenue of the Arts, Center City East, Center City West, and Rittenhouse Square participate in Center City Sips. Over 80 participating locations have $6 cocktails, $5 wines, $4 beers, and appetizer discounts. Here are this week’s best deals.
• Bank and Bourbon: Stop by this market street American eatery for their signature Oh Honey (EFFEN vodka, Barenjager, mango/peach tea, and lemon) and A Season in Blue ( EFFEN vodka, Velvet Falernum, blueberry, and lime) cocktails. They also have $5 Chateau Souverain Chardonnay
Chateau Souverain Pinot Noir.
• Charlie was a sinner: Further down 13th Street lies vegetarian eatery Charlie was a sinner. The Sips cocktail menu includes Charlie’s Punch and Summer Nights (EFFEN vodka, blackberry, basil, and lemon). Potato Croquettes for $4 and Korean Style Fried Tofu for $5 are on the appetizer discount menu.
• Ladder 15: Ladder 15 features $5 Sycamore Lane Pinot Grigio and Sycamore Lane Pinot Noir. The firehouse turned pub grub eatery has half-priced Cheesesteak Spring Roll, Coconut Shrimp, Hummus Plate, and Truffle Fries.
Old City Eats Picks: Chlöe, The Gaslight, and Sassafras
Each Thursday between the hours of 5 p.m. and 8 p.m., Philadelphia participates in Old City Eats. Over 25 participating locations have half-priced appetizers, $4 beers, $5 cocktails, and other drink specials.
• Chlöe: Chlöe has plenty of options for Old City Eats. Stop by for your favorite Amerian BYOB a different appetizer every week for $5 that will post on our Instagram account each week. There will also be a signature drink option during these Thursday hours.
• The Gaslight: Market Street pub grub restaurant The Gaslight has discounts on select appetizers on the menu. You can choose from any $5 cocktail featuring Bacardi during Eats. Miller High Life is the discounted beer of choice.
• Sassafras: Wood paneled hideaway Sassafras, includes an Everything Pretzel (House Made Pretzel, Sea Salt & Everything Seasoning, Served with Mustard Cheese Sauce), and Bag of Housemade Onion Cheddar Chips on their deals menu. You can add Powers Presbyterian (Powers Irish Whiskey, House Made Ginger Syrup, Ginger Ale, Lime Zest) or a Bacardi Hibiscus Mojito (Bacardi Rum, House Made Hibiscus Simple Syrup, Muddled Fresh Mint Leaves, Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice, Top with Club Soda) to your time there as well.
Each week, Philly Influencer picks the best parties, events, and social gatherings the area has to offer.
• Parks on Tap: Parks On Tap is at Pastorius Park this week. There will be masses of people stopping by food trucks, the best brews, and plenty of activities. The hours for this roaming beer garden are Wednesday and Thursday 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., Friday 4 p.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday 1 p.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.
• The Carter Collection: Head to Golf & Social each Wednesday for an amazing indoor and outdoor rooftop experience. This week is The Carter Collection. The hits from Jay Z and Beyoncé will be playing all night long. There will be $5 wines, margaritas, 50 cent wings, $8 Mexican Mules, $9 Circoc summer Coladas, and $9 Old Fashions.
• Vango Lounge Sips Afterparty: Each week, Vango hosts a Center City Sips afterparty. The blowout night runs from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. There will be a DJ blasting the best tracks in hip-hop, dance hall, R&B, and more. There will also be food and drink specials.
• Drake Night: For all of you Drake fans, the Fillmore Philadelphia has something for you this Friday night. So Far Gone night begins at 9 p.m. The DJ will be playing all Drake for several hours and then the best in hip-hop.
• Wizards and Witches Beer Festival: Come to Arts Ballroom this Saturday to sample more than 20 beers and great small plates. There will be a witch and wizard-themed room, brews, and hard ciders at this beer festival. Sorceress Sisters, Red Head Party Band, and DJ DumbleD will be providing live music.
• Wine Slushie Weekend at Chaddsford Winery: Chaddsford Winery will be serving up wine slushies all weekend long. The famed local winery created new blends from their stable of wines. A flight of all three of the new wine slushies can be had for just $15.
• Barnes on the Block: Mural Arts Philadelphia and the Barnes Foundation have combined to bring this amazing block party back for the third year. There will be a beer garden from Dock Street Brewery. The Cow and the Curd and Nick’s Roast Beef will have food trucks on location. Check out the live art demonstrations, performances, prizes, and more at this celebration on Sunday.