Saturday, August 3rd is National Watermelon Day! There are several restaurants and bars in the city fusing this summer melon with dishes, cocktails, and more.
Art in the Age: Art in the Age has created a stunning watermelon radish libation. The Garden Gimlet ($10) is the perfect summertime sipper and is made with White Mountain Gin, basil vermouth, fresh lime juice, Jack Ruby Elderflower tonic syrup, and garnished with fresh basil and watermelon radish.
Café Ynez: Café Ynez is offering a refreshing Watermelon Gazpacho made with watermelon and tomato purées, thickened with a touch of olive oil, and finished with a swig of vinegar. The gazpacho is $10 and is garnished with jumbo lump crab and fresh greens.
CO-OP Restaurant and Lounge: CO-OP Restaurant and Lounge is offing a twist on a classic Moscow Mule with a Watermelon Mule ($12), available exclusively on National Watermelon Day. Made with PA-local vodka and ginger beer, the mule is sweetened up with watermelon ice cubes and garnish.
MilkBoy: MilkBoy Philadelphia invites imbibers to stop by the busting corner of Chestnut and 11st Sts and sip on 21st Amendment Brewery’s watermelon infused Hell or High Watermelon wheat beer. For $6 a can, this watermelon-y brew is ideal for summertime sipping.
Red Owl Tavern: Red Owl Tavern is offering guests a colorful slice of summer for dinner. Available for $12, the Garden Toast is made with watermelon radish, carrots, pea leaves, cherry tomatoes, snap peas and dressed with Green Goddess.
Royal Boucherie: Royal Boucherie has a phenomenal Albacore Tuna Crudo with watermelon jus, Japanese ginger, radish and cucumber for $14 for National Watermelon Day.
Square 1682: Square 1682 has multiple options for you on National Watermelon Day. Guests can enjoy a Watermelon Shandy ($6), made with wheat beer and fresh watermelon juice over ice, and the Madison’s Square Garden ($13), made with Tanqueray Gin, watermelon, honey, basil, and lime.
The Twisted Tail: The Twisted Tail is turning up the heat with a delicious Grilled Sea Bass ($22). Made with herb vinaigrette, snap peas, and watermelon radish, dinner guests can enjoy their flavorful fish at one of the many umbrella filled tables flanking Headhouse Square or inside the cool dining room.
Urban Farmer: Urban Farmer is pouring up a refreshing gin and watermelon libation called the Farmer 215 for National Watermelon Day. Made with Bluecoat Gin, kefir lime, watermelon, lime juice, and garnished with mint, this bright pink cocktail is $14 and only available on August 3.
This Week in Cocktails: Buckets and Shuck-Its
This event doesn’t take place until Monday but it’s too good of a deal to not clue you in on. Miller High Life, the champagne of beers, is toasting to National Oyster Day with Buckets and Shuck-Its on Monday, August 5 at Lloyd Whiskey Bar, Pub & Kitchen, and Royal Boucherie.
Guests are invited to celebrate National Oyster Day with special pricing on the best oysters Philadelphia has to offer, paired with buckets of ice-cold Miller High Life. Each participating restaurant and bar is offering their own Buckets and Shuck-Its deal:
- Lloyd Whiskey Bar – Buck-a-Shuck and $10 buckets of 12oz Miller High Life bottles (5 total)
- Pub & Kitchen – ½ price on oysters and $8 buckets of Miller High Life ponies (5 total, $2.50 singles)
- Royal Boucherie – A dozen oysters and bucket of 12oz Miller High Life bottles (6 total) for $30
The iconic clear bottles of Miller High Life will be served in buckets — a nod to the early 1900s trend of taking home beer in a bucket after enjoying a few rounds at the local saloon. True to its original recipe, High Life is a crisp and easy-drinking beer best known for its uniquely perfect storm of tiny bubbles.
Center City Sip Picks: Craftsman Row Saloon, El Azteca Uno, and Howl at the Moon
Each Wednesday between the hours of 5 p.m. and 7 p.m., the areas of Avenue of the Arts, Center City East, Center City West, and Rittenhouse Square participate in Center City Sips. Over 80 participating locations have $6 cocktails, $5 wines, $4 beers, and appetizer discounts. Here are this week’s best deals.
Craftsman Row Saloon: Come to Craftsman Row Saloon during Center City Sips for some amazing deals. The laid-back bar had an EFFEN Vodka Black Cherry Mule and a Whiskey Barrel Margarita (barrel-aged tequila, lime juice, and orange liqueur) to kickstart your happy hour. You can get discounted Fat Heads Sunshine Daydream, Lagunitas 12th Day of Never, Blue Moon, Yuengling Lager, Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty, and Golden Road Mango Cart. Amish Pretzel, SticksCauliflower Buffalo Wings, Stout-Glazed and Buffalo Wings, and other half-priced options will provide the perfect match to any cocktail or brew.
El Azteca Uno: If you dine at El Azteca Uno after Sips, you’ll get 15% off dinner! Try its EFFEN Vodka Sunrise or EFFEN Peach Vodka Cooler cocktails. The on a Wine filled Wednesday try the wallet-friendly Merlot and Chardonnay pairings. Dos Equis, Pacifico, Sol beers are also part of the Sips package.
Howl at the Moon: Popular bar Howl at the Moon is also offering 15% off dinner after Center City Sips. Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir are all $5 a glass. Bud Light, Yuengling, Stella Artois, Allagash White, Angry Orchard, Angry Orchard Rose, Blue Moon, Blue Moon Mango, and several other beers will be poured up at a cheaper price. Guests can bite into savory Chicken Tenders, Mozzarella Sticks, Nachos, Quesadilla, Jumbo Pretzel, 5pc Wings, and 10pc Wings during sips at an amazing price.
Old City Eats Picks: Freebyrd Chicken, Glory Beer Bar & Kitchen, and Grubhouse
Each Thursday between the hours of 5 p.m. and 8 p.m., Philadelphia participates in Old City Eats. Over 25 participating locations have half-priced appetizers, $4 beers, $5 cocktails, and other drink specials.
Freebyrd Chicken: Freebyrd Chicken is new to Old City Eats Eats this year. The Independence Mall location claims to have “damn good chicken.” During Old City Eats you can get a $5 chicken sandwich slider any style. For just $3, attendees can sip on 16 oz. tallboy cans of beer, including Miller High Life.
Glory Beer Bar & Kitchen: At Glory Beer Bar & Kitchen Roasted Mushroom Mac and Cheese with Black Truffle is on the discounted menu during Old City Eats. Pair the mouth-watering dish with a Hibster cocktail featuring Grey Goose. There are also Happy Hour rotating drafts such as Miller High Life.
Grubhouse: Also new to Old City Eats, Grubhouse goes for a tried but true offering in half-off wings. The $5 Thursday featured cocktail is a Bacon Bloody Mary. Every beer in the establishment is also $5 each Thursday during the promotion.
Each week, Philly Influencer picks the best parties, events, and social gatherings the area has to offer.
• Parks on Tap: Parks on Tap will be at Gorgas Park this week. The beautiful Roxborough terrain will be bursting with lively guest, food trucks, the best brews, and more. On Thursday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., there will be free yoga in the park. The hours for this roaming beer garden are Wednesday and Thursday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., Friday 4 p.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday 1 p.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.
• Trails on Tap: Trails on Tap will be at the Riverfront Park in Norristown this week. Mainstay Independent Brewing Company will provide the brews for at this event where you can kayak and bike for free all weekend. You can learn about the wildlife in the park and more this Wednesday.
• Holy Trinity of Trap: Come to The Foundry at the Fillmore Philadelphia this Friday night. There will be a Holy Trinity of Trap party featuring the hits of 2 Chainz, Gucci Mane, and Future. DJS NA$H and Dame Luz with a special guest set from DJ Astro 8000 will have the dance floor packed with the hottest tracks being played.
• Summer Music Series: Come to Spruce Street Harbor Park this Friday night for the Waterfront Sessions. R&B and Soul singer Bilal will be performing a free set. There will be great music, food and drinks flowing, and more.
• Blue Moon Fly Me to the Moon: Come to Xfinity Live! this Saturday for Blue Moon Fly Me to the Moon. There will be plenty drink specials going around at this event celebrating the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. The party will have an indoor skydiving wind tunnel and more.
• 2nd Street Food Festival: Now in its 11th year, the 2nd Street Food Festival will be taking over Northern Liberties this Sunday. The area’s local shops, restaurants, and bars will all be bursting with special deals and storefront attractions. There will also be live music, food, and much more.