The Spotlight of the Week: Red Owl Tavern and Square 1682 Friendsgiving
Tis’ the season for giving back, and this year Square 1682 and Red Owl Tavern are doing just that. During Friendsgiving, November 14 through 30, both restaurants are donating a portion of sales from select specialty items to No Kid Hungry, a national campaign to end childhood hunger.
Red Owl Tavern is donating 10% of sales from every order of new Executive Chef Jonathan Dearden’s Housemade Cavatelli ($22), made with roasted pork shoulder, butternut squash, broccoli rabe pesto, and grana padano. Guests at Square 1682 can sip on the Friendsgiving cocktail, made with bourbon, allspice dram, honey, lemon for $12, with $2 from each sold going to No Kid Hungry.
No Kid Hungry delivers food to schools and communities, partners with others in hosting fundraising events, conducts food skills education, and strives to do all they can to ensure no kid in America misses a meal. Every $1 donated is equivalent to feeding at least 10 children.
This Week in Cocktails: Townsend’s New Happy Hour
Townsend, Chef Townsend Wentz’s highly acclaimed French restaurant which recently moved from East Passyunk to Rittenhouse Square, celebrates its new location with the launch of a stellar happy hour program, available Tuesdays through Fridays, from 5-7 p.m. at the bar and surrounding high-tops.
Rittenhouse-area imbibers now can look forward to two draft beers ($3), a wine of the day ($8), and Old-Fashioneds ($7). Additionally, Townsend’s acclaimed kitchen will serve three delicious small plates during happy hour for just $10 each. Guests can indulge in Sweet Jesus Oysters with charred scallion purée, yuzu, Korean chili, and lime, Pork Rillette with shaved baby root vegetable salad, cassis mustard, and bacon-vinaigrette, and Cured Black Bass with fennel, orange, pickled Fresno peppers, and Grains of Paradise.
Featured Restaurants and Bars
Philadelphia is a major spanning city. It’s always brimming with exciting new activities and things to do each week. Sometimes answering the simple question of where to eat or get a quick drink can be overwhelming. Each week Philly Influencer will highlight some new places and local favorites to add to your list.
• L’Anima: The duo of Rosemarie Tran and Chef Gianluca Demontis have brought a tremendous Italian BYOB to the area. L’Anima is serving some amazingly wonderful dishes. From light options such as Barbabietola (Beets & poached pears with whipped ricotta toasted pine nuts, shaved fennel lemon, parsley oil) or Spigola (Roasted mediterranean sea bass rosemary potatoes pear tomatoes seasonal mushroom white wine & garum), this menu has it all.
• Mr. Martino’s Trattoria: This homestyle Italian eatery is a Passyunk Ave gem. The weekends on BYOB is a refurbished hardware store that serves traditional and delicious meals in a cozy setting. From veal tortellini, to risotto with bat scallops, to spinach lasagna, there’s something for every palate here.
• Oloroso: Orloso is Chef Townsend Wentz’s fantastic Spanish tapas bar & restaurant. The Center City establishment features wood-fired cooking and a sherry bar. Whether you’re stopping by for brunch, before the theater, or for dinner, this restaurant has several selections for every palate. Stop by to try a variety of tapas or large shareable plates. Whether you’re a fan of Jumbo Sea Scallops, Grilled New York Strip, Spanish Panzella, Housemade Chorizo, or any other savory dish, you” find it here.
• Serpico: Serpico offers up an open kitchen design and a trendy space for you to fall in love with. The restaurant truly has delicious dishes bursting with flavor. Come try their Seafood Ceviche, Grilled Lamb Loin, Japanese Eggplant, and several beautiful options on the menu. Feel free to wash those bites down with options from their bountiful wine and cocktail lists.
Each week, Philly Influencer picks the best parties, events, and social gatherings the area has to offer.
• Sittin’ In: Live Sessions featuring The Mini Q’s: Come to the Kimmel Center this Wednesday evening for this musical showcase. Jazz trio, The Mini Q’s, will be performing an amazing set. The musical showcase begins at 9 p.m.
• Franklin Square Holiday Festival Opening Night: This Thursday, come to Franklin Square for the opening of its holiday festivities. Beginning at 4:30 p.m., you can meet Ben Franklin, take a ride on the Lightning Bolt Holiday Express Train, hear musicians from The Philly POPS and The Philly POPS Festival Chorus. The first showing of the Franklin Square Electrical Spectacle presented by PECO begins at 5 pm. Benjamin Franklin, The Grinch, and Frozen Princesses will be joining the celebration.
• Deck The District Light Show: The Philadelphia Fashion District will be debuting its holiday light show this week as well. Their 45-foot-tall floating tree adorned ornaments and lights will be highlighted by the music of the Philly POPS. Five-minute shows will run every 30 minutes starting at 4 p.m. The Philly POPS will be performing live at the shopping space this Thursday.
• Photo Pop Philly Winter Wonderland: The Bourse Food Hall is embracing winter with holiday instillations and moe at this pop-up art spectacle. Instagrammers and photo savants, come out to take fun and memorable photos with shimmering holiday-themed backgrounds.
• Golf Fridays: Golf & Social will be hosting their weekly Golf Fridays party this Friday. From 9 p.m. – 2 a.m., DJ Paperchase will be playing the best hits that are scorching up the radio. There will be food and drink specials, bottle service available, and more.
• Green Legion Eagles Tailgate: Come to XFINITY Live! this Sunday for Green Legion’s tailgate party. There will be a tremendous tailgate brunch menu, drink specials, and more. You can get Unlimited Miller Lite, unlimited Workhorse Brewing products, unlimited Stateside Vodka drinks (exception energy drinks), and more.
Upcoming Featured Event: Miracle Christmas Pop-Up at BOTH Laurel and ITV
We know we know, it’s barely November, but we hope you’ll indulge us with what is arguably one of the best parts of the season: Miracle at In The Valley (ITV), the cocktail bar’s annual pop-up Christmas experience. And for the first time ever, Laurel is getting in on the festive fun, too. Starting November 29th (Black Friday) ITV will be reimagined with holiday flourishes, festive flair, and an exclusive holiday menu. Simultaneously, the (heated) garden outside of Laurel will transform into a winter wonderland (think: flannel blankets, fire pits and string lighting galore).
Guests who dine at Laurel on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are invited to enjoy a complementary Miracle nightcap in the restaurant’s intimate garden following their meal (applicable for all seatings on these days). Dinner guests will get swept away by this relaxed and exclusive way to enjoy the holiday pop-up. This cozy and laid-back setting will provide a unique contrast to the lively adjoining cocktail bar experience open to all next door.