The Spotlight of the Week: The Bourse Presents: Deck the Food Hall
The Bourse is getting in the holiday spirit with Deck the Food Hall, a two-day family-friendly holiday bonanza, featuring photos with the Grinch and Santa benefitting Morris Animal Refuge, a gingerbread making workshop with Barry’s Buns, Escape the 1980s Santa Experience, themed food & beverage specials, and more on Saturday, December 14 and Sunday, December 15, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Starting at 11 am on both Saturday and Sunday, guests can get their photo taken with either the Grinch or Santa in support of Morris Animal Refuge, America’s first animal shelter. For a $20 donation, guests will receive a 4×6 keepsake photo with each of the characters.
The Bourse vendors will spark holiday cheer with themed food and beverage specials all weekend, including green Grinch Wings ($10) from Grubhouse, Hot Chocolate ($4) from Menagerie, and seasonal beverages at Kari’s Tea Bar, such as White Chocolate Peppermint Tea Latte ($4.95) and Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa Latte ($5.95), among the mix. Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays in December, including December 14 and 15, guests can also enjoy The Santa Experience at Escape the 1980s at The Bourse’s Fourth Street entrance. Each player will receive a FREE photo with Santa, as well as enjoy in-game surprises, and more.
The gingerbread workshop hosted by Barry’s Buns is on Saturday, December 14 from 10 – 11:30 am. Before getting photos taken, guests can enjoy a hands-on gingerbread decorating workshop, including an extra-large gingerbread house ($75) or gingerbread cookie man ($30), the icing and all of the fixings, as well as professional guidance and instruction. Those interested in participating should call (267) 521-2867.
This Week in Cocktails: The Philly the Snowman Holiday Cocktail
This season holiday, Loews Philadelphia and Bank & Bourbon invite guests to taste the holidays with a special hot cocoa and spiked cocktail, “Philly the Snowman”. The specialty cocktail will be available at Bank & Bourbon and the Lounge at the Lobby Bar through New Year’s Day. The cocktail will also be available at the hotel’s Holiday Pop Up Bar located on the 33rd Floor from December 16-20, 4:30-7:30 p.m. daily. The chocolate libation is with locally made sweet cocoa powder and steamed milk, Ancho Reyes chili liquor and New Liberty Bloody Butcher Bourbon, distilled in Philadelphia. The drink is served hot and topped with whipped cream and shaved Hershey’s Special Dark. Pricing on the cocktail is $12, and the kid-friendly cocoa will be offered complimentary with the purchase of the spiked cocoa for adults.
“A warm hot cocoa or cocktail is the perfect way to end a day of holiday shopping and sightseeing,” said Frederic Najem, Director of Food & Beverage, “Being on 12th and Market, we are in the heart of some of the best seasonal activities for couples and families this season like ice skating at Dilworth Park and Christmas Village in LOVE Park, and now a festive drink at Bank & Bourbon should be added to everyone’s list.”
Loews Philadelphia will is also be hosting a Holiday Brunch and Winter Wonderland Experience on Sunday, December 15.
Tinsel & Tidings at The Logan’s Holiday Lodge
On Thursday, December 12 and Thursday, December 19 from 4 p.m.-7 p.m., the Commons Café in The Logan Hotel lobby will transform into the Winter Ski Lodge Bar, replete with hot cocoa and festive toppings, as well as specialty cocktails from Urban Farmer Lead Bartender Tim Johnson, including Blackbeard’s Xmas (buttered dark rum, vanilla, spices), Jingle Juice (bourbon, house hot chocolate, whipped cream), and Clause for Concern (house-made egg nog). All cocktails are $12. Guests can also sip on select wines for $10 and local beers, Yards Poor Richard’s Spruce Ale ($7) and Manayunk Crunch Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter ($5). While guests imbibe, they can cozy up by the fireplace in The Logan’s Living Room.
Additionally, on December 12 and 19, guests can enjoy a Santa Letter-Writing station in collaboration with Philly Typewriter and The Papery; guests are encouraged to write their holiday wishes on “Dear Santa” stationary for a chance to win a free stay at The Logan Hotel. There will also be a Holiday Polaroid station with festive props and surprise cameos by chic, modern-day Santa Claus where guests can snap holiday-card-worthy photos.
The Logan Hotel and Urban Farmer will also be hosting two festive workshops this month, including:
- May with Love Pom Wreath Class — December 18th, 6- 8 pm; $25 per person; guests will learn how to make the plushest of poms, creating an anthro-inspired sumptuous wreath; all materials provided; guests can e-mail livelogan@
theloganhotel.com for more information or to register.
- Urban Farmer Gingerbread and Hot Chocolate Class — December 21st, 2-4 pm; $55 per person; guests take home their cookies, recipes, cookie cutters, and an at-home hot chocolate and marshmallow kit; guests should e-mail erica.kirk@
sagerestaurantgroup.com or call 215.963.2723 for more information and to make a reservation.
Snow Day Deals
Snow flurries have trickled from the heavens and taken over the city. With the chilliest of the winter months approaching, you can expect to see more snow days on the icy horizon. With it those days comes Snow Day Specials! The below restaurants and bars are inviting guests to come in from the cold to enjoy comfort food staples, brews, and extended snow day happy hours.
• Art in the Age: Art in the Age, Old City’s one of a kind tasting room, home bar supply and bottle shop, is offering imbibers a House Hot Toddy whenever the City of Philadelphia declares a snow day. Made with Kinsey Rye Whiskey, honey, lemon juice, freshly brewed tea, and cinnamon bitters, this steamy drink is available for $11 at the Art in the Age bar.
• Assembly Rooftop Lounge: Assembly Rooftop Lounge, the all-weather rooftop lounge on top of The Logan Hotel, invites guests to come up and enjoy sweeping snowy city views while sipping on a steaming $5 Hot Toddy. With a selection of small plates and a view of some of Philadelphia’s most iconic landmarks, this unique location has it all during the best and worst blizzards.
• Ocean Prime: Ocean Prime, located in the heart of Center City, is offering an extended happy hour starting at 4:30 pm where guests can stay in from the cold and enjoy specials all evening. Choices include select $10 cocktails and wines by the glass with options such as signature OP Manhattans, and $5 off small plates and sushi with options such as lamb lollipops.
• Philadelphia Brewing Company: Philadelphia Brewing Company, one of the oldest breweries in Philadelphia, is offering a pint and a well shot for $7 during snow days. With rotating seasonal draft lists as well as year-round staples, imbibers can enjoy classics such as Kenzinger and seasonal favorites such as Winter Wünder. Pair that with a shot and the warm fuzzies inside will warm up any frozen heart.
• Red Owl Tavern: Red Owl Tavern, located across from the Liberty Bell, invites guests to enjoy comfort food favorites during lunch and dinner when it snows. For lunch, guests can enjoy bowls of tomato soup paired with grilled cheese for $5 when they order any other item on the menu. During dinner, guests can dig into Personal Chicken Pot Pies for $7 when they order any other item on the menu. Insider tip: snag the window table with a view of Independence Hall.
• Urban Farmer: Urban Farmer, located off of Logan Square, is offering a quick pick-me-up for snow day goers with a $5 Irish Coffee special. With a distinctively contemporary rustic feel, Urban Farmer also offers delicious steaks, comforting sides, and much more to those who decide to venture out in the storms.
Square 1682 Celebrates The 12 Days of Christmas with Holiday Movies
Square 1682 is getting in the holiday spirit with The 12 Days of Christmas from December 14 through 25 featuring holiday movie favorites paired with themed cocktails and complimentary truffled popcorn. Each evening, movies begin promptly at 7 p.m. in the lounge near the entrance to the restaurant. Guests can watch the projected film on the front wall while sipping holiday movie-themed cocktails. Movies include holiday staples such as Home Alone, White Christmas, and Eight Crazy Nights, as well as more controversial titles such as Die Hard. Guests can expect to sip themed libations for $12 each such as “Cotton-headed ninny muggins” (ELF), “Ya Filthy Animal” (Home Alone), and “The Great Gonzo” (A Muppets Christmas Carol) crafted by lead bartender Christian Diaz.
The movies and cocktails are as follows:
- December 14 – National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
o “The Blessing” – Spiked Eggnog
- December 15 – Bad Santa
o “The Dressing Room” – Shot & Beer
- December 16 – The Nightmare Before Christmas
o “What this, What this?? I can’t believe my eyes!!” – Vodka, Kahlua, Cream, Charcoal
- December 17 – ELF
o “Cotton-headed ninny muggins” – Brandy, Crème de cacao, Cream, Candy Cane Tinctures
- December 18 – A Muppets Christmas Carol
o “The Great Gonzo” – Before (Old Fashioned), After (Brown Butter Old Fashioned), Future (Combined)
- December 19 – White Christmas
o “Sleigh bells in the Snow”- Spiced Rum, Black Tea, Honey Ginger Syrup, Lemon, Cinnamon Cotton Candy
- December 20 – Jingle All the Way
o “Turbo Man” – Rye, Campari, Averna, Cacao Nib Vermouth, Cold Brew
- December 21 – Die Hard
o “Yippee Caye” – Smoked Manhattan (Rye, Ramazzotti, Black Walnut Bitters, Orange Bitters)
- December 22**Hanukah Begins** – Eight Crazy Nights
o “Gin and Tonica” – Manischewitz Blackberry, Gin, Tonic
- December 23 – Home Alone
o “Ya Filthy Animal” – Spiked Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- December 24 – It’s A Wonderful Life
o “Clarence” – Bourbon, All Spice Dram, Demerara, Lime
- December 25 – A Christmas Story
o “A major AWARD” – Bourbon, Winterized Vermouth, Cherry Heering, Christmas Tinctures
Yard’s Brewery Eagles Watch Party with Connor Barwin
This Sunday, December 15, Yards Brewing Company is hosting an exclusive watch party with former Eagles great Connor Barwin in their taproom! Your ticket purchase gets you open access to a Philly-style tailgate buffet, delicious Yards beers, and unlimited high-fives from Connor. This high-intensity divisional matchup will need all of the fans that the Yards Brewery Company taproom can handle! Half of all ticket sales support Make The World Better Foundation’s mission of connecting people and inspiring stewardship through public space revitalization projects.
Each week, Philly Influencer picks the best parties, events, and social gatherings the area has to offer.
• FEASTmas at FringeArts: Many local chefs have been serving up tremendous four-course dinner menus for FEASTmas at FringeArts. Culinary names like Kiki Aranita, Chris Vacca, Ari Miller, and Joncarl Lachman will be participating. The meals are $100 per person you’ll get a delicious meal and great wine pairings.
• Slashing Through the Snow: Come celebrate the season with holiday brews, bites, and murder with Slashing Through the Snow – Tis the Season for Murder at Devil’s Den on Wednesday, December 11 from 7 to 10 p.m. Featuring true crime stories from writer, journalist, and former Philadelphia police officer, Sarah Cailean, this event will have you on the edge of your seat. Guests can enjoy $1 off seasonal holiday drafts such as Criminally Bad Elf from Ridgeway Brewing, drafts of Bourbon Barrel Rude Elf’s Reserve from Fegley’s Brew Works, and pints of Little Saint Nick Cranberry Gose from Roak Brewing Company, throughout the night while listing to tantalizing tales from Cailean.
• Stag and Doe Night in Chestnut Hill: Stag and Doe Night in Chestnut Hill begins on is on Wednesdays, December 11. The holiday festive event will also be on the 18th as well. Running from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. you can eat, drink, and be merry during Chestnut Hill’s oldest holiday tradition. The celebration fills the picturesque village with holiday charm and festivities, perfect for a family-friendly evening. Activities along Germantown Avenue include a meet-and-greet with Santa, rides in a horse-drawn carriage, and the sounds of holiday carolers and a brass quartet – all while snacking on roasted chestnuts, treats, and seasonal sips.
• The Fishtown Freeze: The 2nd Annual Fishtown Freeze is on Saturday, December 14. The neighborhood festival will have participating restaurants and bars serving up great sips and bites all day long. There will be live ice sculpture carvings, live music, a flea market, a photo pop-up, and more.
•Silent Party Philly “90s vs Trap “Ugly Sweater Edition Party: Come to Golf & Social this Saturday for a silent party with a holiday twist. The DJs will be competing for your attention during this holiday bash, spinning the hottest trap hits and 90s jams. Come out in your best ugly sweater and hit the dance floor.
• Valley Forge Beer & Cider Festival: The Valley Forge Beer & Cider Festival will feature IPAs, crisp lagers, stouts, and more this weekend. Come sample an endless list of beers and hard ciders. Breckenridge Brewery, Hokaiddo Brewing, Founders Brewing Company, and others will be participating in the 9th annual event. The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center will also be hosting the Coffeeee and Tea Festival this weekend as well.