WCW’s Slamboree 1997 had quite the NFL feel to it.
Former Eagles great and current Packers dominant defensive end, Reggie White, made his professional wrestling debut against Chicago Bears arch-rival Steve “Mongo” McMichael. However, with already a year under his belt in the professional wrestling business, McMichael would have the edge. But Reggie got his licks in, for sure.
— 🎙Straight Shooters Podcast 🎧 (@ShootersRadio) May 27, 2021
Kevin Greene also returned to WCW to team up with legends Ric Flair and “Rowdy” Roddy Piper to take on the nWo, which consisted of Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, and Syxx, aka Sean Waltman.
The pay-per-view as a whole seemed very “pure” – a word I used on the podcast. Not much interference or nefarious actions. Sure there were a couple, but WCW never let those finishes get mundane, and if they were sloppy, Tony Schiavone always seemed to make it make sense. Covering this pay-per-view was easy because things flowed smoothly and it certainly didn’t feel like a chore to watch. This was WCW in its heyday, with an almost perfect pay-per-view.
The beautiful thing is we react in real time to the Sixers and Phillies games, which were not so great at times.
- WCW Television Championship: Steven Regal vs. Ultimate Dragon (c) (w/ Sonny Onoo)
- Madusa vs. Luna Vachon
- Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Yuji Yasuraoka
- Glacier vs. Mortis (w/ James Vandenberg)
- WCW United States Championship: Dean Malenko (c) vs. Jeff Jarrett (w/ Debra)
- Death Match: Meng vs. Chris Benoit (w/ Woman)
- The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott Steiner) vs. Konnan/Hugh Morrus (w/ Jimmy Hart)
- Steve “Mongo” McMichael (w/ Debra) vs. Reggie White (w/ Kent Johnston)
- Six-Man Tag Match: Ric Flair/Roddy Piper/Kevin Greene vs. nWo (Kevin Nash/Scott Hall/Syxx)
Subscribe to The Straight Shooters on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Radio.com, TuneIn Radio, Stitcher, Player FM, and wherever else you get your podcasts! Follow The Straight Shooters on Twitter (@ShootersRadio), like them on Facebook, and listen to every episode at ShootersRadio.com.