National Cheeseburger Day
National Cheeseburger Day is Friday, September 18. In Philadelphia, there are plenty of places to grab a juicy and tasty burger every day. Here are a few hotspots you should stop by this Friday to celebrate the delicious occasion.
• a.kitchen: a.kitchen’s classic cheeseburger is among Chef Eli Collins’ famed burger creations and is topped with American cheese, cornichon, and dijonnaise. It is available on all menus, including their new lunch selection. The chef hails from Pub & Kitchen where he gained his street cred based on his burger game. a.kitchen’s crowd-pleasing burger will be on their Center City Restaurant Week menu through the next week.
• Emmy Squared: Emmy Squared’s cult-followed Le Big Matt is what burger dreams are made of double-stacked grass-fed beef patties, American cheese, special Sammy Sauce, greens, and pickles on a pretzel bun.
• Fork: Fork offers an elevated burger experience with their new menu addition, the Dry-aged Brisket Burger. This mouthwatering entrée features gruyere cheese, pickled shallots, and the house B&G mayo (a game-changing condiment, if you aren’t in the know: the spicy pepper spread from your favorite deli hoagie mixed with mayo for a next-level burger topping) on a sesame seed brioche bun. Like a.kithcen, this burger is also available through Center City Restaurant Week.
• Sunset Social: Every foodie can appreciate a good burger with good company, so for National Cheeseburger Day, Sunset Social is celebrating with a fun night of sweepstakes and socially distanced drinks on the Cira Green rooftop. On September 18th, Sunset Social will be offering $5 burgers from 3 to 9 pm with a stellar burger giveaway in tow. One lucky winner will get a staycation at AKA University City, a complimentary dinner for two at Walnut Street Café, and a free cheeseburger every day of the 2021 Sunset Social season. Every burger purchase is equivalent to one raffle entry and entries are not limited.
• Walnut Street Café: Walnut Street Café, sister restaurant to Sunset Social, has an elevated Double Cheeseburger for a steal at $12, complete with chopped onion, pickle, American cheese, pickle chips, french fries.
Iron Hill Brewery’s Tailgate Tailgate To-Go Platters
Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant‘s to-go platters, available now, just in time for the start of football season. While we won’t be enjoying tailgates and parties this season, Iron Hill is offering their fan favorites to enjoy while watching the game at home.
Platters include Iron Hill’s popular hearth-baked pizzas, cheesesteak egg rolls, and sandwiches, along with an appetizer, sandwich, and entrée packages to enjoy for the big games. The catering menu can be found here.
Looking to pick up some beer too? 64 oz growlers and 16 oz cans are available for pickup with any order. And just in time for fall, Iron Hill has recently canned their Pumpkin Ale, a 5.5% ABV bold and flavorful beer that boasts touches of fall spices and vanilla bean.
Tailgate with Freebyrd Chicken at The Bourse
Tailgating, stadium fans, and crowded bars may be prohibited in Philadelphia this NFL season, but The Bourse Food Hall has a solution for fans looking for a safe and socially-distant watch party. Football lovers are invited to a Tailgate with Freebyrd Chicken during every Sunday 1 p.m. Eagles game, featuring brews, cider, wings, games, and more — kicking off this weekend.
This Sunday, fans can watch the Eagles destroy the Rams (🤞) on The Bourse’s multiple large screen TVs, while enjoying gameday specials from Freebyrd Chicken, including 50-cent wings, 4/$12 Coronas, 4/$16 hard cider, and more. Jumbo Jenga and corn hole will be set up with hand sanitizer for guests’ safety. Masks must be worn when not seated at a table.
To ensure proper social distancing and the safety of guests and vendors, tables must be reserved in advance and only four guests will be allowed per table. Reservations for each game can be made here.
September 20 @ 1 p.m.: Rams at Eagles
September 27 @ 1 p.m.: Bengals at Eagles
October 11 @ 1 p.m.: Eagles at Steelers
October 18 @ 1 p.m.: Ravens at Eagles
November 15 @ 1 p.m.: Eagles at Giants
November 22 @ 1 p.m.: Eagles at Browns
January 3 @ 1 p.m.: Washington at Eagles
BLVCK at SIW Vegetable in Chadds Ford.
For those looking for expertly prepared food with an open-air farm dinner, look no further than SIW Vegetable in Chadds Ford.
On Wednesday, September 23, Chefs Khoran Horn (of Philly’s beloved Stripp’d Juice and forthcoming Guardhouse Cafe at the Frankford Arsenal) and Gerald Allen are back at the farm for another one of their signature BLVCK experiences. BLVCK is a culinary collective combining food, design, visual art, and education championing dialogue and inclusion.
The pair will be serving their famed veg-forward, fish-heavy fare in dishes including:
- Tomato Coconut Shooters
- Shaved Melon, Parma Ham, Bacon Salt
- Zucchini Salad, buttermilk, salmon roe
- Grilled Swordfish, smoked scallop mousseline, eggplant
- Bone-in Rib Eye, Potato Salad Puree
For this event and all other SIW pop-ups, dinners will be limited to smaller seating capacities. Guests will be notified of safety protocols related to masks, social distancing, etc. prior to the 9/23 dinner. Tickets are $93/pp and can be purchased at the SIW Farm Stand (cash and checks accepted) or online via PayPal.
• Center City Restaurant Week Continues: Center City District is offering up three-course lunches for $20 and three-course dinners for $35 through next Friday. You’ll chance to taste these special menus and dishes is just a trip to downtown away.
• PHS Pop-Up: The PHS Pop Up Garden at Manayunk is open daily until 10 p.m. The outdoor bar, restaurant, and garden offer up great views, food, and brews. The spacious lot will be filled with fun, laughter, and gorgeous plants on display.
• Tenet at The Navy Yard: This Thurday, had over to The Navy Yard for a special screening of the Christopher Nolan thriller, Tenet. Brought to you by the Philadelphia Film Society, seeing this time-bending production will be a great way to roll into the week.
• Dinner & a Movie at Urban Farmer: Also this Tursday, you can head over to Dinner & a Movie at Urban Farmer. Guests will have a chance to screen The Wedding Singer, have a tremendous meal, and have a stunning experience in the The Logan Hotel Courtyard.
• Food Truck Craze: For those looking for a food truck party, head over to Phoenxivill this Saturday. The Food Truck Craze is a semi-annual festival. Foodies at the Shoppes at Valley Forge (Redner’s Shopping Center) can enjoy free parking and pay-as-you-go options at this event. This event will feature a variety of food trucks and a spectrum of cusines.
• Green Legion Tailgate at XFINITY Live: Come to XFINITY Live! this Sunday for the Green Legion tailgate party with Hollis Thomas. There will be tremendous drink specials and more as you sit back and watch the Birds handle the Rams.
• University City Dining Days: From September 19th to October 4th, University City Dining Days will be taking over the region. Come show your support for local restaurants as they serve up specialty menues, to-go cocktails, takeout deals, and have outdoor dining options.