Super Bowl Takeout and Ideas
• Bank and Bourbon’s Sausage Stuffed Long Hot Peppers Recipe: No matter what team is playing, we all know that the real star of the Super Bowl is the food. Executive Chef Thomas Harkins of Bank & Bourbon restaurant on Market Street is sharing one of his go-to recipes for the big game for you to enjoy at home: Sausage Stuffed Long Hot Peppers.
- 6 long hot peppers cut in half and deseeded
- 1 cup of mild Italian sausage without casing
- ½ cup grated sharp provolone
- ¼ cup of each grated fresh parmesan and breadcrumb mix together
- Olive oil as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
Start the grill or preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix sausage and grated provolone together, season with salt and pepper. Proceed to fill the cavity of the long hot pepper with the sausage mixture. Place on a cookie sheet or if using grill place on foil sheet. Top each pepper with the parmesan bread crumb mixture. Place in oven or grill and bake until an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Serve hot.
And on Fridays and Saturdays, stop by Bank & Bourbon to pick up light bites and their signature selection of cocktails, beer, and wine to go.
• BRU Craft & Wurst and Tradesman’s: Bru & Tradesman’s are both offering a $100 Super Bowl Package that includes a 5ft Philly Cheesesteak, an order of wings, french fries & a bucket of beer for the table to share. This special is also good for the private reserved tents! Both locations have outdoor tents with private TVs & heaters plus inside we have a TV wall, a projector, & multiple other TVs to view.
Indoors for Tradesman’s, you can watch the game in four different spaces, two different levels, and on multiple HD TV’s. Plus, there’s a giant ten-foot media wall around the main bar. Indoor for BRU, you can watch the game from 7 TVs plus a projector for ample views.
• Craft Hall: Philadelphia’s largest restaurant, Craft Hall, is back open and with a brand-new BBQ menu perfect for game day eats! The game will be on with the sound throughout the entire facility. Come hungry for one of the best deals in Philadelphia with a Super Bowl package for $65 that includes the Game Time Tower with Buffalo Wings, Glazes Spare Ribs, Fried Cheese Curds, French Fries, and Nachos. Plus there’s a standard open bar (excludes premium spirits). Available for up to four people. Book your Tower and Package today and make your reservations by calling (267) 297-2072.
• El Camino: El Camino will offer the game on the big screens inside and outside for viewing, with the sound on and the drinks pouring. Don’t miss heated covered outdoor dining that even includes heated seats for red hot game day action. Look for signature BBQ and Tex Mex cuisine, cocktails, and 30+ choices of draft, can, and bottled beers.
For take-out specials, El Camino will offer:
- Super Taco Box $40
- Guacamole, Salsa & Chips
- 12 Tacos- Choice of 2- Chicken, Steak, Shrimp, Seitan
- Red Rice, Beans, Crema, Queso
- $40 Wings- 30 Jumbo Buffalo Chicken Wings with Ranch, Blue Cheese- Carrots & Celery
• Germantown Garden Grille: Germantown Garden Grill, Hunnies Crispy Chicken, Glu Hospitality, and Vesper present the big game under the stars in a private heated poolside Igloo and private cabanas with a $50 per person minimum with access for the Igloo for an extended period of time from 6 pm to the end of the game. Food specials and the menu includes everything from big cuts of steak to the red hot buffalo goodness Hunnies Crispy Chicken, and everything in between. Look for beers on draft and bottle, game day cocktails, hot drinks, and more. For info please call or text 267-214-0086.
• Hawthornes Beer Cafe: Hawthornes and Pivot Coffee present outside dining and take-out specials for the big game – with TVs outside for viewing from the new giant tent, dining bubbles, and streetery. Make reservations in the tent for $10 a person. Hawthornes will be offering Wings ($13.00/8 pieces) and ($36.00/24 pieces), Loaded tots, Shareable Salads (House Salad $10 and Caesar Salad $12), and $5 Tired Hands Gulpie pints.
For takeout, Hawthornes will be offering a Pizza Bundle Deal for $40. This includes a cheese pizza, an order of wings (8 pieces), and a shareable house salad. Cut off for this order is at 4 pm or until “sold out.” You can pre-order any of o pizza: Cheese Pizza $20, Pepperoni Pizza $22, and Veggie Pizza $22 for pickup times of 3 pm and 5 pm. The cut off to place an order for the 3 pm pick up time is 2 pm, and the cut off to place an order for pickup at 5 pm is 3 pm. You may place individual orders for pizzas, wings, tots, salads, and other Hawthornes menu items online.
• Iron Hill: Just because we won’t be out and about celebrating the Super Bowl doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy delicious Iron Hill beer! Pick up your favorite four-pack at any of your local Iron Hill locations or check out their beer finder to pick up your favorite Iron Hill beer like Philly Phavorite, Sweet Leaf IPA, Hipster IPA, Kryptonite Double IPA, or Russian Imperial Stout at over 500 retail locations throughout PA and DE. Pair with some Iron Hill game-day favorites like their Egg Roll Sampler, Pub Burger, Buffalo Wings, or any of their delicious Hearth Baked Pizzas. Check pickup and delivery times here.
• SET NoLibs: Philadelphia’s newest sports hot spot, SET NoLibs, in the heart of Northern Liberties hosts their first big game day watch celebration. The festivities will include big screen televisions throughout the entire dining room, plus access to televisions in the covered dining tents and at the outdoor streetery. Look for food and drink specials, including a Super Bowl game day platter for sharing at the table with your squad, including chips and salsa, four different kinds of wings (Thai Chili, Soy Garlic, Salt and Pepper, Sesame Chicken), tater tots, guacamole, season waffle fries and one beer tower that serves 6 pints. The package is all available for only $100 per package.
• SliCE: Slice’s football-shaped pizzas are back in time for the big game! They’re available for take-out or delivery. For $20, you can get their Touchdown Football-Shaped Pizza or their Football Shaped Pizza (San Marzano tomatoes sauce, mozzarella, hand-sliced pepperoni and finished with ricotta laces.)
For Irish Market and city-wide delivery, call 215-463-0868.
They also have these amazing packages:
- The Tackle: $45 25 twice-cooked wings with choice of sauce, celery and blue cheese, and one large plain pie.
- The Field Goal: $65 25 twice-cooked wings, celery and blue cheese, 15 mozzarella sticks, one large plain pie
- The Touchdown: $90 50 twice-cooked wings, celery and blue cheese, two large one-topping pies
- The Turf: $70 25 twice-cooked wings, celery and blue cheese, 1 small Caesar salad, one large plain pie
• Thirsty Dice: Order a curated Comfort Crate from Thirsty Dice that is has everything you need for game day. The new Football Playoff Crate serves four and has some great tabletop game options to add-on for pre and post-game fun. The menu includes a Meatball Sandwich Kit, Vegetarian Nacho Kit, 16 Wings with a choice of Buffalo, Peach-Carolina Reaper BBQ Sauce, or Hot Honey Sauce (all served with ranch). Wash it all down with two 6-packs of 16oz 2SP Pony Boy Light Lager. Additional food and drink options are available as well.
All Football Playoff Crates are available for pickup. Their full selection of Comfort Crates, meal kits, and other a la carte items can be ordered online here.
• Weavers Way Co-op: Weavers Way Co-op’s Ambler and Chestnut Hill stores have everything you need to watch the Super Bowl at home with special deals on game day favorites. Selections include Buffalo Wings with Bleu Cheese ($12.99 for 12, $21.99 for 20), Buffalo Cauliflower with Vegan Ranch (17.99 for 24) and a wide variety of traditional and vegan hoagies, which will all be on sale for $5.99 each (normally $6.99-$8.99). Call your local Weavers Way to place an order, otherwise, items are subject to availability in the grab and go area of each store.
• 12th Street Catering Cooking Classes: On Friday, February 12 at 5:30 p.m., Philadelphia-based catering company 12th Street Catering will offer a Paella Virtual Cooking Class, perfect for a “date night in.” Unlike the private cooking classes offered by 12th Street Catering, this class is open to the public as a special, one-of-a-kind Valentine’s Day treat. Attendees will cook and master the dynamic entrée and two side dishes with live step-by-step instructions from 12th Street Catering Executive Chef Adam DeLosso, known for his award winning paella recipe. The class also includes a dessert prepared by 12th Street Catering’s in-house pastry kitchen. The class is $100 per kit for two people Those interested in attending the class can register by emailing email@example.com or calling 215-386-8595 by February 4.
• Ember and Ash: Philly’s newest restaurant, Ember & Ash, just introduced a very special and unique Valentine’s Day menu featuring the likes of beef heart, lamb beck, halibut cheek, beef tongue, and chocolate pig’s blood pudding. The four-course feast, which will be served family style, is available for dine-in between Friday, February 12 and Sunday, February 14, as well as for takeout with pre-orders. The regular menu will not be available throughout Valentine’s Weekend, and reservations can be made by visiting here. All guests will also receive a complimentary glass of prosecco or a non-alcoholic Negroni, which is one of Ember & Ash’s signature cocktails. Dinner costs $125 per couple.
• Forsythia: Forsythia, Old City’s French bar and restaurant helmed by Chef Christopher Kearse, is serving up a sexy and sophisticated menu for two this Valentine’s Day. On the menu is Chestnut Bisque, Crab Salad, Whole Wheat Rigatoni with Duck Heart Ragout, Filet Mignon with caramelized onion shitake mushroom daube, black truffle bordelaise, and Chocolate and Speculoos Crepe Cake, all for $75 per person with the option of a wine pairing for an additional $25 per person. Some additional offerings include a floral bouquet brought to the table as a surprise for significant other ($40), charcuterie with all the fixings ($20), Champagne ($50), and a ‘Love Potion’ cocktail ($10). It’s al available for takeaway and indoor dining at limited capacity.
• Flannel: Country-inspired eatery, Flannel , is hosting a special Valentine’s Day menu for $45 per person consisting of Southern Wedding Soup, Butternut Squash Ravioli, Southern Maki Roll, Country Captain, Kale Avocado Slaw, Stuffed Red Peppers, and Heart Shaped Spicy Chocolate Whiskey Brownie. Don’t miss out on some fantastic southern-style cooking this Valentine’s Day.
• Germantown Garden Grille: Germantown Garden Grille will be hosting a Valentine’s Day Family Brunch with Sleeping Beauty. Get ready to experience Disney’s Sleeping Beauty at this one-of-a-kind dining experience, perfect for kids of all ages. This socially distanced magical dining experience includes 90 minutes in a private heated igloo or a completely covered outdoor table for you and your immediate family members. There will be photo opportunities, songs from the princess, and a grand entrance worthy of your own Prince or Princess. Each reservation comes with a private visit from the princess, a souvenir, and princess-themed activity sheets. Tickets are $15 per person for Igloo seating and $5 per person for outdoor seating without the Igloo. Food and drink are pay-as-you-go. A portion of each ticket will go to charity and provide a free princess appearance for children in need through the Salvation Army.
• Jet Wine Bar: Jet Wine Bar has put together a Rosé and Cheese pairing fit for a romantic night in this Valentine’s Day. For $69, the gift pack consists of:
- Three bottles of rosé — a Sparkling, Calkarasi, and Grenache
- An artisan cheese gift pack: Goat Rodeo Wild Rosemary Cow/Goat, Clover Creek Galen’s Good Old Cow, and Boxcarr, Nimble Cow/Goat, housemate Pimento Cheese
- Candied Walnut, Pickled Carrots,
- Whipped Pumpkin Butter
- Two Buttermilk Biscuits.
Orders are available now for pick up online, in-store, or by phone until Sunday, February 14.
• Latin Live: Gift your loved one with tickets for Latin Live, an interactive, virtual cooking class featuring Latin-centric recipes and the opportunity to cook along with Jose himself, live! Classes take place once per month for a price of $45, or reserve a package of six classes for $90 for the gift that keeps on giving. Also, if you’re stuck on what to cook for your sweetheart for a Valentine’s night at home? Pick a recipe and cook along to a free virtual Cooking Space video demonstrating by Jose Garces. Choose from recipes such Spicy Crab Pasta or Fish Tacos + Elote, purchase all ingredients in advance and then follow along to a pre-recorded virtual demonstration from Jose Garces for a fun date night activity with your Valentine.
• Love Notes: The East Passyunk Opera Project (ePOP) has teamed up with Pistola’s del Sur, Sancho Pistola’s and Jose Pistola’s for a special three-course dinner and virtual concert taking place over Valentine’s Day Weekend. Executive Chef Adan Trinidad has created a special menu of offerings that can be picked up in Fishtown, Center City/Rittenhouse and South Philly. Meals and optional drink packages can then be paired and enjoyed with a Valentine’s themed virtual performance. The dinner and concert will feature performances by Philadelphia-based opera singers Ashley Marie Robillard, soprano, and Joshua Blue, tenor. The real-life couple will perform safely from their home in South Philly. In addition, several prominent opera singers will make guest appearances, including Anthony Roth Costanzo, Sandra Piques Eddy, Joélle Harvey and her husband Alex Fletcher, Zachary James, and Will Liverman, all of whom have sung leading roles at The Metropolitan Opera and a host of other distinguished opera and concert venues throughout the world.
Love Notes premieres on Friday, February 12th and runs through Sunday, February 14. Tickets are $75 which includes three-course dinner for two and performance, or $95 for the three-course dinner for two, drink pairing for two and performance. Tickets are on sale now.
• Mousse & Musi: Chef Ari Miller of Musi BYOB, along with Cake & Joe, the new gourmet cake and coffee shop in Pennsport, are teaming up for a Valentine’s Day collaborative dinner and dessert appropriately named Mousse & Musi, available for pickup on Sunday, February 14 at Musi. The package includes Musi’s Maui Lavender Ponzu seasoned red caviar hummus plate with laffa, as well as with Chili Peppah Water Pork Bits kale salad, along with Cake & Joe’s special pink mousse-filled Valentine’s Day-themed cake for dessert. The cost for dinner and dessert is $40 per person, and 40 packages will be made available for pre-order only. Musi’s regular menu items will also be available for add-on. The Valentine’s Day packages are now available for pre-order here. Modifications are not available, and orders can be picked up on 2/14 between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.
• Positano Coast: Positano Coast in Old City has three special ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day Weekend this year – including a special exclusive weekend-long candlelight event. The lights will be turned off in multiple spaces and dining rooms throughout the spacious Old City staple. Let the warm glow of the candles glisten throughout your evening of wine, cocktails, dinner and dessert. Valentine’s Weekend candlelight dine-in specials will include the following, and many others:
- Lobster Ravioli $24 shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes, brandy cream sauce
- Tagliatelle $22 bolognese ragú, aged provolone
- Linguine $24 sea urchin & crab, black squid ink
- Risotto $23 arborio rice, baby shrimp, mussels, calamari
- Grilled Salmon $25 herb-dusted, broccoli, crispy onions, citrus sauce
Additionally, Positano Coast will offer Oyster and Champagne Pairings all weekend long, with Blue Point Oysters $4 each lightly salted, essence of seaweed; Rhubarb-Ginger Gin, Dry Vermouth, Sea Salt, Prosecco $12; Kumamoto Oysters $4.5 each deep-cupped with petite meat, mild brininess, sweet flavor, honeydew finish; Honeydew Infused Gin, Junmai Ginjo Sake, Lemon, Champagne $12; James River Oysters $3.5 each mild brininess, plump meat, mild flavor; Hop-Infused Grapefruit Vodka, Prickly Pear Liqueur, Brut Rose $12.
Last, for those looking to take-out and enjoy Valentine’s at home, Positano Coast will debut a special Sweetheart menu for Two – including Crab Tacos for two; Rigatoni for two; choice of Pork Chop Parmigiana or Grilled Salmon; Chocolate Delights for two; and a Bottle of Prosecco. Take-out and to-go only. $125 plus tax and gratuity. No substitutions. Available Friday, February 12 to Sunday, February 14, 2021. Please pre-order by Saturday, February 13, 2021. Sweetheart special not available for third party delivery.
• Red Owl Tavern: Old City’s Red Owl Tavern, right across the street from Independence Hall and just a stone’s throw from area attractions, is offering couples a weekend-long date night for the occasion featuring a three-course menu for $45 per person, and libation specials such as red, white, and sparkling wine from $22 – $100 per bottle. Available from Friday, February 12 to Sunday, February 14.
In addition, for guests looking to enjoy Dinner with a View, Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia is offering a private room for three hours including a three-course dinner with wine or bubbly, candlelit table overlooking Liberty Park, and a prepaid movie On Demand, for $199 per couple with a $25 charge for each additional person. Upgrade to an overnight stay for an additional $99.
• River Twice: River Twice is back open for the first time in 2021, and Chef Randy Rucker has put together an indulgent six-course Valentine’s dinner featuring the likes of caviar, venison tartare, squid, quail, and much more. The menu will be available beginning on Thursday, February 11 and go through the end of Valentine’s Day Weekend. The six courses include Chicharrons with Kaluga caviar, whipped lardo, and maple; Venison Tartare with black walnut, elderberry capers, sorrel, and olive granola; Grilled Squid with grapes, radish, and mussel veloute; Quail lacquered in Concord grape vinegar with chanterelles and kohlrabi; Beef Striploin with sprouting grains and sauce noisette; and Chocolate Cake with black sesame, buckwheat, and hay caramel.
Reservations are now available on resy.com. Dinners are priced at $75 per person, with an optional $45 wine pairing also available. River Twice currently features limited indoor and heated outdoor seating.
• Square 1682: Square 1682, the modern American kitchen located at the intersection of 17th and Sansom streets, is offering a “Lovebirds” special for Valentine’s Day consisting of Whole Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Rosemary Biscuits, B&B Pickles Chipotle Honey, and additional sides including Collard Greens, Smoked Turkey, Country-style Baked Mac and Cheese, Spiced Chilled Watermelon, Togarashi, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, and more. For those couples looking to indulge, Pecan Pie will be offered for dessert, and to toast to the special occasion, a Sparkling Rosé Champagne Cocktail will be offered. This “Lovebirds” special is priced at $35 for the entrée, cocktail, and dessert, and additional sides are an extra $4 each. To set the mood, Square 1682 will play a curated Spotify playlist of classic love songs.
• Talula’s Daily: Talula’s Daily, Aimee Olexy’s premier gourmet market and private dinner space, will be offering a special pre-fix Valentine’s Day menu, available for select indoor seating, delivery, or as a to-go package. The menu includes:
- Course 1: Fried Cheese Curds, Rosemary Honey
- Course 2: Tuna Crudo, Tangerine and Mint, White Bean, Harissa and Saffron
- Course 3: Lobster Risotto, Celeriac and Pink Peppercorn, Baby Old Bay Biscuits
- Course 4: Short Rib, Mushrooms, Polenta Croutons,Winter Herb Salsa Verde
- Course 5: ‘Cookies & Cream’ Trio of Little Cookies, Berries, Whipped Cream and Cookie Butter
To place your order, you can call 215-592-6555. There’s also an additional $50 beverage pairing available (for pickup only).
• Urban Farmer: Urban Farmer, Logan Square’s modern American steakhouse, has some stellar plans lined up for Valentine’s Day this year. For folks looking to celebrate in the comforts of home, there is a Valentine’s Day at Home menu which feeds two for $75. The menu consists of Prime Porterhouse, Twice Baked Fingerling Potato Tart, Heirloom Baby Carrots, Cauliflower Almond Soup, Field Greens Salad, Housemade Cornbread, and Strawberry Passionfruit Mousse as an enhancement ($12). The date night at home package will be available February 13 and 14 with pick up times starting at 4 p.m. until 9 p.m.
As for indoor dining, Urban Farmer is offering Valentine’s Weekend Specials including ‘Port of Love’ as the specialty cocktail, Broiled Oysters and Foie Gras Torchon, Scallops and Pork Belly, Prime Porterhouse, Twiced Baked Fingerling Potato Tart, Broiled 5oz. Lobster Tail, Blackened Foie Gras Butter, Strawberry Passionfruit Mousse, and Chocolate Fondue for Two. The menu will be available for indoor dining and takeaway from 4 p.m. – 11 p.m. with last seating at 9 p.m.
• The Wayward: For a romantic meal, The Wayward’s has an iconic $75 per person menu for couples who want to treat themselves to a delicious experience this Valentine’s Day. You can also add a supplemental wine paring ($25 per person) to their savory offerings for the romantic holiday. The menu includes:
Muscadet, Domaine de la fruitere, Loire, FR (pairing wine)
- Salade Lyonnaise au Toro
- Chicory, Smoked Toro Ribbon, Poached Egg, Crouton, Tonnato Vinaigrette
- Coquilles Carpaccio
- Scallop, Heirloom Radish, Passion Fruit, Sorrel Leaf Oil
Plates to share:
Mourvedre, Cline Ancient Vines, Central Coast, CA
Chardonnay, Cecile Paquet, Macon, Burgundy, FR
- Steak au Poivres
- Filet Mignon, Green Peppercorn, Brandy, Porcini Cream
- Pappardelle a La King
- Butter Poached Nova Scotia Lobster, Wood Roasted Poivrons
- Spinach a la Crème
- Fine Herbs, Roasted Garlic Chawanmushi
- American Brut, Domaine Saint Vincent, Method Champenoise, New Mexico
- Tarte la Ganache
- Dark Chocolate, Hazelnut, Candied Rose Petal, Fleur de Sel
To order, call 215-258-9430.
Parks Pop-Up Debuts
Parks Pop-Up debuted a new indoor dining experience at the Fairmount Horticulture Center Arboretum recently. The 30,000 square foot unique indoor space will provide ample opportunity for social distancing. Patrons will be able to enjoy fresh food, beers on tap, wine and hot beverages inside a lush greenhouse environment with comfortable chairs, and clean restrooms.
The Parks Pop-up offers families a unique destination in the colder weather where they can get out of the house and partake in safe and socially distanced activities. A portion of all Parks Pop-Up sales will benefit Philadelphia parks.
Reservations are strongly encouraged, with each table currently being limited to 4 people in compliance with local safety mandates. Additional seating is at a first to come – first to serve basis. The pop-up will also have outdoor seating weather permitting.
Masks must be worn at all times except when seated at a table. Contact information will be taken from all guests, to assure contact tracing can occur if it becomes necessary.
Season hours for the Parks pop-up at the Fairmount Horticulture Center Arboretum will be Wednesday to Friday, from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from Noon to 10 pm. Hours and days of operation may change due to weather and special events.
Starr Restaurants Announces New Virtual Restaurant Concept
The emergence of ghost, cloud and virtual kitchen concepts has taken the nation by storm – giving diners across the country the option to enjoy chef-driven cuisine from home without ever having to enter a restaurant. In October 2020, STARR Restaurants opened Pete’s Place – STARR’s “kinda Korean” noodle shop operating out of Serpico. They recently launched their second virtual restaurant concept, Chicken Scratch.
Chicken Scratch’s rotisserie chicken-centric menu, developed by Chef Peter Serpico, invites diners tochoose between a quarter, half or a whole chicken served with “stoplight” red, yellow and green sauces. Pair your chicken with comforting sides such as Mom’s Mac and Cheese, Fried Plantains, Banquet Rolls with whipped butter and more. Order for yourself or upgrade to a family combo that feeds up to four.
“To stay alive in the restaurant industry, you need to be constantly innovating and evolving – always on the pulse of changing trends in diner behavior. This holds especially true right now,” says Stephen Starr, Founder of STARR Restaurants and 2017 James Beard Award Winner, Outstanding Restaurateur. “Takeout and delivery continue to support the industry’s survival during this challenging time. Chicken Scratch not only introduces a new style of cuisine for STARR, but also a new way to cater to our loyal patrons – delivered with the same standard of excellence that our diners have come to know and love.”
Chicken Scratch is available to diners for takeout from Serpico (604 South Street) and delivery via Doordash, Caviar, Grubhub and Uber Eats starting between 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.